Monday, September 15, 2008

Professor Ramachandran's Suggested Ten Universal Laws of Art

1. Peak shift
2. Grouping
3. Contrast
4. Isolation
5. Perception problem solving
6. Symmetry
7. Abhorrence of coincidence / generic viewpoint
8. Repetition, rhythm and orderliness
9. Balance
10. Metaphor

From the illustrious neuroscientist V.S. Ramachandran. I sometimes recoil from this kind of reductive theory however, for some reason, I really like what he has to say.
The full lecture: The Artful Brain.
At last. Art-making can become tangible! We can all just tick the boxes.

2 comments:

Ben Ellis said...

Thanks for sharing this. Personally, I don't find it reductive but instead expansive - maybe it's in the opening up of possibilities (of things hitherto unconsidered) that the attraction lies? A bit like the concept of peak shifting itself...

I think I'll shut up now before I sound even MORE of a wanker. Thanks again.

Martin White said...

Thanks Ben, you don't sound like a wanker. This kind of theory can be reductive though. Ramachandran certainly avoids it in his lecture. What I love about this is that he is not suggesting art needs to comply to these in order to be successful, nor is he suggesting that art following these rules will be successful. He has just found that these notions are neurologically stimulating. I love the idea of making a work that has specific neurological goals. The only reductionism of the thesis is mine really. (The other lectures are really worth looking at also).
Have you had reports of how Zombie State's going?